Calistoga Teen Center:
Monhoff Center Annex
1505 Grant Street
Calistoga, CA 94515
Unit Director: Clint Ferrier
Calistoga school-based Club:
Calistoga Elementary School
1327 Berry Street
Calistoga, CA 94515
Unit Director: Greg Bouillerce
Administrative Office and St. Helena Clubhouse:
1420 Tainter Street
St. Helena, CA 94574
Unit Director: Ash Clements
Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga
The Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga, Inc. has been offering after school and summer programming for children and teens for 27 years.
Here are some of the highlights of the Clubs' development:
The first programs are offered, starting at the St. Helena Catholic School. Father John Brenkle and Marianna Hawkins are Club co-founders. Lynne Hall is the first staff member.
November 21, 1990:
The Club is incorporated as a non-profit organization, and governed by a community-based Board of Directors. We consider this as our official anniversary. Marisa Iano joins the staff.
October 27, 1993:
The St. Helena Club is chartered as an official affiliate member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. As an eight year old, Anton Parisi joins the Club. Anton will remain a Club member and staff member to the present.
The Board hires Frank Sottile as Executive Director and Trent Yaconelli as Club Manager. Trent later becomes Operations Director.
The first Calistoga programs are offered at the Calistoga Elementary School.
November 27, 2001:
Our second full time Unit, the Calistoga school-based Club, is chartered by Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Three years later, the Calistoga Teen Center opens as a program site.
The St. Helena-Calistoga Youth Diversion and Intervention (YDI) Program is founded, which assists teen first time offenders (and their families) to return to school and the community as an alternative to the juvenile justice system.
January 10, 2008:
Following a successful $6.5 million capital campaign (2004-2007), the new 11,200sf St. Helena Clubhouse facility is constructed and opened with a large community celebration.
Frank Sotille retires, and the Board of Directors hires Jay Templeton to succeed Frank as Executive Director; Trent Yaconelli becomes Associate Executive Director.
Opened in 2004 as an Extension, the Calistoga Teen Center is officially chartered by Boys & Girls Clubs of America as our third chartered Unit.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga reports to Boys & Girls Clubs of America an official total youth served number of 2,005 in 2012. This breaks down to 1,507 registered members, plus 498 other youth served through community outreach. This is the first time the total youth served number has exceeded 2,000. In 2014, the numbers were 1,443 registered members and 1,517 other youth served, for a total served of 2,960 children and youth- another record.
After 24 years of service, Lynne Hall retires. The hallway to the Administrative Office is now named the "Lynne Hall Hall."
The St. Helena Chamber of Commerce names the Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga the 2013 Non-Profit of the Year. Four months later, the Calistoga Chamber of Commerce also names the Club as the 2014 Non-Profit of the Year.
June 3, 2014:
The Calistoga Teen Center moves into the new modular Monhoff Center Annex. The Teen Center had been displaced in February 2014 following a Pacific storm and water damage to the city-owned Monhoff Center building, and utilized temporary space at Palisades Continuation High School. It is anticipated that the Monhoff Center will be restored by the City in the first quarter of 2017.
Following two Board retreats and a community-wide feasibility study, the Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga formally kicked off a 24-month capital campaign to raise $9.5+ million to construct, operate and endow a new Clubhouse facility in Calistoga. Following the fundraising general plan, design and permits, the construction will take place over 12-14 months. We anticipate the new facility to open in the fall of 2017. For more information and concept drawings, visit our Great Futures Campaign page.
December 31, 2015:
For the first time in its history, the BGCSHC surpasses 3,000 total youth served. In the annual report submitted to Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the BGCSHC reports in 2015 1,541 registered members and 1,884 "other youth served through community outreach," for a total youth served of 3,425.
St. Helena Art Director Kari Martin is recognized by BGCA as one of the 5 top art instructors in the Pacific Region. Her program receives national recognition. Three St. Helena members win National Fine Arts awards, and five members win Pacific Region Fine Arts awards.
June 17, 2016:
Construction starts on the new Calistoga Club. Capital Campaign fundraising reaches $10+ million.
Following Jay Templeton's notice of retirement, the Board of Directors selects Trent Yaconelli as Executive Director effective July 1, 2017.
ST. HELENA (Clubhouse and Administrative Office)
Co-founded by Father John Brenkle and Marianna Hawkins, approximately 50 children enrolled as the Club's initial members at St. Helena Catholic School in the summer of 1989. In the 1989-1990 school year, the St. Helena Boys & Girls Club began daily after school programs, and membership grew to over 200 registered children and youth. Eventually, the St. Helena Elementary School cafeteria and grounds provided the larger space needed for a supervised games room, recreational activities, art projects, an academic study area and summer programming.
In the spring of 1992, the Club moved back to the Catholic school's newly re-constructed facilities. This location permitted the Club to establish its first Administrative Office, and a dedicated site for the games room, recreation, arts and summer programs. Additional program opportunities included use of the Catholic school's new gym, a fully equipped commercial kitchen, and the community hall for special events and youth development programs. The Club was officially chartered as a BGCA affiliate on October 27, 1993.
On May 20, 2004, the St. Helena Unified School District and the Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) formalizing a partnership to design and build a permanent Boys & Girls Club facility on the St. Helena Elementary School campus at 1420 Tainter Street. This facility would be jointly used by the District and the Club for the mutual benefit of District students and Club members. The District provided the land, and the Club and community raised the funds ($6.5 million) to build the 11,200sf facility. Additionally, the Club and District collaborated on the Fieldhouse facility, constructed on the campus of St. Helena High School.
On January 10, 2008, the new St. Helena Clubhouse opened. The St. Helena Star wrote, "Everyone involved deserves the community's thanks for coming together in the spirit of doing what's best for our children and our neighborhoods." The organization's Administrative Office is located in the St. Helena facility.
CALISTOGA (school-based Club and the Calistoga Teen Center)
The Calistoga Club's first program offering was a two week summer day camp experience during the summer of 2001. About 50 youth participated. On September 17, 2001, the Club began the after school program. The Club currently operates at the Calistoga Elementary School site (1327 Berry Street), utilizing the cafeteria/multipurpose room, playfields and west portable.
Based on the Elementary School program's success, in 2004 the City of Calistoga approached the Boys & Girls Clubs to discuss the day-to-day operations of a Teen Center located at the Monhoff Center (1505 Grant Street) adjacent to the Junior/Senior High School. A three year contract was signed and has been extended annually. In February 2014, the Calistoga Teen Center facility was damaged by a Pacific storm. The Teen Center utilized temporary space at Palisades Continuation High School until moving into the new modular Monhoff Center Annex in June 2014.
On October 7, 2014, the City of Calistoga (Mayor and Council) approved a Memorandum of Understanding to allow the Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga to build a new Clubhouse on City-owned property at 1401 N. Oak Street (between the community pool and the Fairgrounds). This new facility-- slated to open in the fall of 2017-- will be a facility of our own, replacing the school-based Club. The Teen Center will remain at the restored Monhoff Center until moving back into their restored home in the summer of 2017. Visit our "Great Futures Campaign" page for details of our multi-year capital campaign that is now underway.
As a chartered affiliate of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga currently employ four full time administrators, five full time program professionals, and 38 part time program directors and program assistants. Staff are supplemented by 195 valued and dedicated volunteers annually. The total organization (three chartered Clubs, the Youth Diversion and Intervention Program, and the Administrative Office) is governed by a Board of Directors, who serve in a voluntary capacity. Day-to-day operations are under the leadership of the Executive Director (Jay Templeton), the Associate Executive Director (Trent Yaconelli) and through the staff chain of command.
To achieve program goals, the Clubs collaborate with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the St. Helena and Calistoga Joint Unified School Districts, the Napa County Office of Education, the State Superintendent of Schools, Auction Napa Valley, the Cities of St. Helena and Calistoga (Recreation Departments, Police Departments and Libraries), the Up-Valley Family Centers, Napa County, Napa Valley Vintners, the State of California, several nonprofit partners, and service organizations including Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis, Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, the Chambers of Commerce, and Soroptimists.